Saturday, December 19, 2015

Imped- uous (Impede vs Impetuous)



IMPEDE: v. to retard in movement or progress by means of obstacles or hindrances; obstruct; hinder
   origin Latin - impedire - to snare the feet


IMPETUOUS:  adj. 1)of, relating to, or characterized by sudden or rash action, emotion; impulsive.   2)having great impetus; moving with great force; violent.  
     origin (sort of) Latin - impetitus / impetere - to attack

Definitions from dictionary.reference.com


I thought impetuous meant something like "embodying the act of impeding." But it's not. (that would be "impedingly").

The T and D make a world of difference!

(I don't know if I have any basis for my expectation. I can't think of any examples off the top of my head.)


I was impeded in my impetuous rush to claim knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment