Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Clishmaclaver

Yes, that's what I said, CLISHMACLAVER. Word of the day from Dictionary.com

It sounds too cool not to just immediately put it in my Word Blog.

But, before I get carried away by the awesome highland heft of this word, I should probably find out what Dictionary.com says it really means...

noun - 1. Scot (ha!) gossip; idle or foolish talk

And, according to the Origin section also on Dictionary.com
Clishmaclaver is a combination of "clish-clash" and "claver", both of which mean "gossip."


So, in essence, CLISHMACLAVER means gossipy goss-goss-gossip.

Hmm. Well. I must type that CLISHMACLAVER doesn't feel like "foolish talk". I mean, foolish talk would be... hmm...
 I don't know if I ever would consider any talk to be foolish. I may not be able to understand it, or I may not beliEve it, but that doesn't make it foolish.

But, idle talk. Okay. Idle talk. I've done that. Words exchanged just to be saying something. Talk to while away the time.

And yes, I can hear how CLISHMACLAVER could sound like a mish mash of words - like the sound of a pub, or a group of people waiting for a show to start. And I like that image - for it has the "uumph" I feel in the word CLISHMACLAVER.

CLISHMACLAVER (and if you're like me, you hear it in a Scottish accent.) A gaggle of big brawny gossip. Fun!

I hope you have a great day!
-Lila


No comments:

Post a Comment